OUR BABY!!!

Name: Elias Matthew Clarke
Birthday: July 28th, 2010
Time: 11:11am
Weight: 9 lbs. 1 oz.
Length: 19 and 1/2 inches
Hospital: Crouse Irving Memorial, Syracuse, NY

Babies make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for.







Friday, July 23, 2010

Preparing...

It is Friday evening, July 23rd. Elias Matthew Clarke will be here in approximately 4 days, 10 hours, and 30 minutes.

Our last ultrasound was at 36 weeks and it was performed here in Binghamton. At that time, baby Elias measured in the 75th percentile (again) at about 6 lbs. 8 oz, and his O was about 5 cm in all proportions and stable in growth. I am now 38 weeks, 5 days, so he probably weighs about 7 1/2 lbs. or so - about the same as Julia did when she was born. Our last two appointments were in Syracuse. Although we did not receive measurements, everything checked out fine. So I think we are all set for his birth. He should do well. Eudes and I both feel (instictually) that he will do better than expected.

Everything here is ready for him when he is ready to come home.

The plan is this: Tuesday night my mom will come over and spend the night. Eudes and I will leave at about 7:00am Wednesday for the hospital. I have to be there by 8:30. The c-section will begin at 10:30. This is, of course, if there are no emergencies occuring that will delay our procedure. Assuming the timeline holds, he will be born by 11:00. They will clean him, wrap the O, get his vitals, and whisk him away to the NICU. In the NICU, doctors and nurses will do a thorough assessment of his health, including examination of the O and its contents and an additional fetal echocardiogram to ensure that there are no defects that weren't detected in the first one. They will hook him up to an IV for fluids/nutrition/medication, place a tube into his stomach to suck out the contents, and attach an oxygen monitor and possibly a ventilator (amongst other tubes/wires, most likely). They will then decide on a course of action for repairing the O.

Meanwhile, they will stitch me up and I will be sent to recovery. Before moving me to the room where I will stay for the next 4-5 days, they will wheel me to the NICU to see him. Daddy, of course, will go too. He might get to go even sooner than I will, which is preferable, as I'd feel better having him present to comfort our little guy and hear what the doctors are saying. I'm not sure at what point they will discuss "the plan" with us, but I'm assuming within the first hour or two of his birth. It's my understanding that we will be one floor apart while I am recovering in the hospital, and that we will get to stay with him pretty much all day, if we choose.

Eudes will be staying with me in the hospital for those four days. My mom will take care of the kids and our home and dogs while we are there. She will bring them up to see us, but as I've said before, no one is allowed in the NICU except parents and grands. If anyone would like to visit Eudes and I, we are more than happy to see you! I will post directions/hospital info/room number as soon as we are settled. Just give one of us a heads up first so we can make sure to be in the room when you arrive.

We will bring our cameras and laptop so that we can download and post photos both here and on Facebook. I will have plenty of time to blog, and I will include each and every piece of info we receive ASAP.

I cannot wait to meet him! For the longest time I had a fear that all I would see is the defect, not the baby. But now when I think about him, I see a whole and complete being, with a body, face, voice, and personality, and although I simply can't imagine loving anyone as much as I love Julia, I know my heart will instantly and exponentially increase in its ability to love as soon as I see him and hear his cry.

A very special thank you to all who were involved in the planning and/or who were in attendance at my SURPRISE baby shower! I was truly shocked. We had a great time and it was so nice to receive so much love and support from all of you! We are beyond blessed to have such amazing and generous family and friends! We love you! Talk to you all soon. Take care!

3 comments:

  1. Karen,
    This is so exciting!! Chris (my husband) was able to go with the doctors right after Jackson was born while I was being stitched up...I made sure he had a camera so I could see what Jackson's omphalocele looked like. When I actually saw the pics th eO looked exactly what I imagined it to look like and I was relieved.
    I got myself into a wheelchair around 8pm that same day and went to see Jackson. It was hard seeing him hooked up to all of those wires...he had his surgery that day so he also has stitches and sometype of glue on his belly too.
    I cannot wait to hear how your little baby is doing and to see pictures. Please remember I am here for you and I understand ALL that you are going through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW it is Morgan above, I was accidentally logged in as my husband...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, How awesome to get to see your little guy tomorrow. I will be thinking about you and Elias and sending you all the positive energy I can get. My prayers are also with you. Good Luck!.

    ReplyDelete